Honoring Real Heroes in Our Community
Every year, there are real heroes in our community who go unnoticed. A recent dinner hopes to honor these heroes, who come from all walks of life. This year, the Kern chapter of the American Red Cross will be hosting a dinner in April that does just that. A total of 11 real heroes from our community have received this award this year. In this article, we will tell you more about this exciting event. We will also let you know how you can learn more about each of these recipients.
Honorees This Year
Everybody from firefighters to teenagers will be honored at this event. Here is a list of everyone to be honored at the Real Heroes Dinner this year:
- Congressman Kevin McCarthy, of Bakersfield, will be honorary chair for the event again this year;
- Tony and Sharon Mejia, CPR Instructors (owners of CPR Plus), will be honored.
- The Bakersfield Fire Department’s reserve firefighters, Adam Bickford, Angela Stevens, Armando Lazaro, and Cindy Huge;
- Fire Captain of the Kern County Fire Department, Glen Maki, will be honored for raving a man from his home before it burned;
- Madison Riley, a local teenager who creates blankets for cancer patients, will be honored;
Gathering Together to Share Stories
Just recently, the Kern Chapter of the American Red Cross gathered these honorees together. They met one another to talk about their work within the community. At this event, their names were also released to local media outlets. Young-Woolridge, a local Bakersfield law office, held the reception for this event on Monday, March 9th, 2015. Each of these honorees had the chance to initially share their stories at this reception. As the event gets nearer, check out some of the profiles of these local Real Heroes on a few news outlets in the area.
Learn More about Our Real Heroes
As part of this event, 17News will air profiles of each of these honorees. You can check out these stories on the 5 O’clock News starting on Monday, April 6th, 2015. If you would like to meet these dynamic people in person, tickets for the dinner are still available. The dinner itself will take place on Saturday, April 18th in Bakersfield at the Paramount Citrus Aviation Hanger. Call 324-6427 to get your tickets for this exciting event. Come on out to honor those who are doing some of the best work in our community for our fellow citizens.